Friday, January 11, 2008

A little Self Indulgence..

I stayed in the Royal Garden Estates’s ‘Kingston’ Appartment for initial 12 days of joining. The accommodation was provided by CSC (for initial 2 weeks) & not to mention everything was perfect or rather Superb. We lived a Regal life there. However what I wish to share here is an incident which was very touching one. In those days I was on high spirits exploring various new things & just trying to grasp few aspects of Corporate world, at that time I cried.. for reasons just read down

We were six girls provided a 3 BHK flat & there were two attendants (RajKumar & Sazoi, both were residents of Nepal and their hindi was terrible & English was just understandable). My check-in date was same as the joining date i.e. 6th Aug. My Dad was there to drop me & when I entered apartment Pooja was also along with me. We both being from same college took the same room. The day was hectic & as Dad left around 7:30 pm, Pooja decided to rest.

I though tired of the days proceedings thought of interacting with other Girls but then I dropped the idea seeing the newspapers & just went on reading the news. Meanwhile, I interacted with the Servants and asked few general questions to them like their names, place of residence, & since how long they are here etc. After having the dinner (it was tough for me to eat even few morsels ‘coz it was damn spicy.. I just ate one chappati with the sweet pickle), we retired to sleep.

Both attendants were too good. Within two days RajKumar (the other one Sazoi was too quiet I have hardly heard him) knew that I don’t drink cold water so he used to give me normal water & prepared less spicy food :-) The only strange thing was everyday he asked me for the food which is to be cooked for the day. I always insisted him to ask this with the other girls too. To which he replied. “:Nahin Ma’am aap hi bata do …wahi banayenge”. I said why this partiality with others. He said, “Aap hi sahi se baat karti ho … itna politely”. I looked at him and smiled.

Since third day it was daily routine that he’ll ask for breakfast and dinner menu from me. I & Pooja use to decide it. However he was always disturbed by my food habits, as I ate hardly two chappatis. He once said, “Ma’am, aap itna kam khati ho, kya khana achcha nahin banata?”. I said, “Gar khaana achcha nahi hota to daily register mein compliments ki jagah comments hote..You are an expert cook…” ( I daily filled the suggestion register which was kept over there.. And there were only few people before me who have bothered to spare their few moments appreciating the hospitality of these two meticulous Guys, anyways I never missed to do that throughout my stay there)

One day He cooked rice& said, “Ma’am aaj rice fry kiya hai, aap please thoda sa le lo” ( I normally don’t eat rice but that day I couldn’t say no) After eating it I said it was too tasty I’ll love to have it again someday. And to my surprise next day also he prepared it. The truth was I didn’t liked it at all however I was bowled by the feeling with which he has cooked & served me. And just to honor that I would go for eating anything ( howsoever I disliked that) anytime.

On Sunday, I was going through the daily newspapers when RajKumar came & said, “Ma’am, humein aapse kuch phoochna hai” I responded, “Ji phoochiye…” He said, “Ma’am, yahan bahut se Sir’s aur Madams aate hain Guest house mein. Hum sabko serve karte hain. Sabki 1 month ki salary shayad mere poore year ki salary se jyada rehti hogi (He was paid a mere 3000 Rs per month). Mere do bachche hain aur main chahta hoon ki who aapki tarah engg bane…. Ma’am yeh bataiye kitna padhana hoga is k liye?”

I thought about it and frankly saying I was running short of words. What shall I say to him? I could see and of course understand the significance of his dreams. But then thinking from his perspective, the reality is, there are many hurdles for his dreams to materialize.. I suggested him few feasible alternatives (taking in note that the goals I set are in his reach) & told him to continue with proper schooling of his wards & one day your dream will certainly come true. He was happy hearing my reply.

After that I came to my room & don’t know why few tears rolled down my cheeks. The conclusion of any piece of syllogistic reasoning does not enable us to learn anything new other than what is already contained in its premise. You have the same limitation with inductive logic where you arrive at general truths from particular examples. Was RajKumar wrong in dreaming this? I don’t think he was.. ‘coz mind grasps reality by establishing relationships between entities that it perceives newly & the perceptions that it carries from the past.

However I do pray to God for the fulfilment of his dreams….

No comments: